Instruction Tips – Black Jack Coatings
If you believe you'll be saving the roofing system decking plywood (not replacing it), then you might conserve yourself some clean-up difficulty by removing the fixtures first and then peeling up the rubber! Information of water damage on camper roofing. More water harmed areas on RV roofing decking. There was nothing really horrible that made me feel like I was going to fail, but certainly a great deal of damage and I was getting the sensation I would be changing a lot of the roofing system decking plywood.
Spraying Elastomerics And Roof Coatings – A Complete Guide
I opted for the most basic one initially, a vent cap from a kitchen sink plumbing vent pipe. Starting to scrape caulk and sealant. I used a stiff scraper with a chisel-like blade and just began spying and cracking and scraping and hacking. There is no other method around this, you just need to begin digging up until you expose the screw heads.
Loosening the screws in vent cap. The screws on this vent cap were hex-head metal screws so I used a small socket driver to eliminate them. Some came out tidy. Others were rusted and I needed to use a vice-grip pliers to grab the heads and turn them gradually.
I found an old wasp nest inside the vent cover. This is a sight I'll most likely have to get utilized to, discovering the remains of animal habitation in every nook and cranny. I invest a horrible lot of my time developing excellent wildlife habitat in my backyard so I don't get offended when an animal chooses to set up home in my Recreational Vehicle.
Thankfully nobody was house in this old nest so I just tossed it. Perhaps I'll put a screen over it when changing it. Which brings us to the next point. You need to attempt not to harm these pieces (like vent covers and caps) as you're removing the old caulk and sealant just in case you need to utilize them again.
(Think I'll discover out when the roofing is done!) Prying up the vent cap and removing the last ring of rubber roof underneath. So I pried up the rest of the cap and scraped up the remaining rubber roof and butyl tape and putty and 25 years of other gunk and here's how it looks tidied up.
Acrylic Roof Mastic
One down, 7 more fixtures to go. Next I decided to deal with the only roof ventilation fan that my camper has. My roofing vent also had a vent cover over it. So I started scraping the gunk from those screws. Starting on the roof vent. Hardware exposed on roofing vent cap, the very first nut came off tidy.
Technical Data Sheet Elastomeric Roof Coating
Bolt is spinning. The fasteners on this RV roofing vent cover were nuts on small bolts. The very first one came off fine with an extension socket kit. The 2nd one simply began spinning, implying the bolt was not repaired in location but turning in addition to the nut. Downer. A peek at the hardware holding down the roofing vent cover.
I didn't have any excellent way to hold the bolt in place so instead I opted to saw through the bolts with a reciprocating saw. Sawing through bolts on roofing vent cover. I used a cordless reciprocating saw with a metal-cutting blade however it was tricky to get the blade flat sufficient to reach the bolts so near to the roof deck. Many were so old and rusted that they sheared off when I unscrewed then with a lot of force. Unscrewing the brackets that held the vent cover in place. Then I scraped more caulk and roofing system sealant off the flange of the roofing vent itself. I soon discovered there were no more screws or hardware holding it down so I quit on the scraping and went inside the Recreational Vehicle After scraping the caulk and sealant from flange of roofing vent, no more screws! Unscrewing the inside cover plate of roofing vent fan in RV restroom.
A couple sheared off with a great deal of force, however two wouldn't budge. So I needed to drill out the screw heads. I chose a drill bit close to the size of the shaft of the screws that I had actually currently pulled out and started drilling. Choosing a drill bit for drilling out a screw head.
Safety glasses suggested. So I drilled out the heads, one popped off and the other I was getting irritated with and gave it a yank prior to it was drilled through. Instead of popping off the screw head, the plastic simply dissolved around the hot screw head. Whoops. Hope I do not have to recycle this cover.
If not, I'll need larger screw heads when re-assembling. Cover plate eliminated from roofing vent. Next I found little corner brackets with hex-head bolts holding them in. I loosened them (all came out fine fortunately) and took out the brackets and little white plastic spacers. Unscrewing corner brackets in roofing system vent.
All corner brackets removed, ready to pull out. Once the brackets were out I went back up leading to pry out the the roofing system vent. Then I scraped up all the remaining gunk and rubber roof. Lifting off the old roof vent. There are 2 wires going to the roofing vent (a black hot wire and a white neutral wire) that you'll require to clip to get rid of the old vent.